03 Sep Beetroot and Sweet Potato Soup
Rich in beta carotene, this soup is a wonderful deep purple colour and has a sweet taste to it. Experiment with the recipe by adding different types of root vegetables and different herbs and spices. Its very versatile!
- 1 red onion, peeled and diced (carb)
- garlic clove, peeled and sliced (carb)
- 1 large sweet potato (carb)
- 2 raw beetroot (carb)
- 3-4 organic carrots (carb)
- a pinch dried chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 50g of red lentils (carb)
- 4 tbs of red wine vinegar
- a bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped (optional)
- a dollop of yogurt (fat)
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large, wide pan. add the garlic and onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add the chilli and paprika, then tip in the chopped vegetables.
- Add the stock then simmer for 15-20 minutes until thickened a bit. Add the lentils and cook for an extra 10 minutes or until the vegetables and lentils have softened.
- Remove from the heat and blend using a hand blender. Add the red wine vinegar and stir. Add parsley and soya yogurt to taste.
- To PFC balance the meal, add a boiled / poached egg to the middle of the soup