21 Jan Bircher Muesli
This breakfast recipe created by a Swiss physician in approximately 1900 Dr Maximilian Bircher-Brenner who used to give it to his patients in hospital. If only hospital food was this good now!
- 100g oats (soaked to make them easier to digest) (carb)
- 100ml almond milk (or other non-dairy milk of your choice) (fat)
- 150ml pot natural live yoghurt (with live friendly gut bacteria), fat or protein
- 100ml apple juice (ideally freshly pressed) (carb)
- 40g almonds, roughly chopped (fat)
- 40g raisins or sultanas (carb)
- Juice of 1 lemon (carb)
- 1 apple (carb)
- 1 pear (carb)
Additional fruit of your choice to serve. Add a boiled egg to the dish to make it balanced (protein).
Soak the oats, almonds and raisins in a bowl overnight in the fridge with the milk, yoghurt and apple juice. Before serving, grate in the apple and pear and add the lemon juice. Serve a few generous dollops with a bowl of fresh fruit.
Keeps well in the fridge for a few days without the apple and pear. Add that just before serving each time.