21 Jan 2015 Courgetti and Pesto
My sprialiser is possibly my favourite kitchen gadget and a great way to get make fruit and vegetables more exciting for the whole family in just minutes. The pesto can be made in advance and kept in a sealed jar in the fridge for upto two weeks.
- 4 large courgettes (carb)
- 2 large handfuls of fresh basil leaves (carb)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed (carb)
- 75-100ml extra virgin cold pressed olive oil (fat)
- 25g pine nuts (fat)
- Juice of ½ lemon (carb)
- Optional: add free range chicken to the dish to balance the meal and add protein
Start by making the pesto. Heat a small frying pan over a low heat, add the pine nuts and cook until golden brown, shaking occasionally.
Add the toasted pine nuts and all other ingredients into a small processor and blend together. Season with Himalayan pink rock salt and freshly back pepper.
Use the spiraliser to turn the courgettes into long strips that resemble spaghetti, place in a large bowl and toss together with the pesto until the courgette is well coated. Serve at room temperature.
TIP: When not detoxing you can add 25g of parmesan to the recipe.