21 Jan Super Green Quinoa Salad
#3 portions of vegetables per serving
- 1 cup quinoa + 1 ½ cups water
- 300g mixed green leaves (I love spinach, watercress and rocket)
- ½ cucumber, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 100g shelled pistachios or hazelnuts , chopped (not suitable for Rejuvadetox)
- 3 tbsp chopped mint
- 3 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
For the dressing;
- Juice & grated rind of 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses (optional, not suitable for Rejuvadetox)
Thoroughly rinse the quinoa under running water in a fine mesh sieve to remove the bitter soapy tasting coating. Then place in saucepan and add 1 ½ cups of cold water and a either a pinch Himalayan pink rock salt or a teaspoon of your favourite vegetable bouillon. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat to simmer and cover the pot and cook for approx 15 mins until the water has been absorbed and the quinoa seeds have sprouted – look at their little curly tails! Turn off the heat, and place a piece of paper towel between the pot and lid to absorb any excess water and let it stand for 5-10 mins before giving it a fluff with a fork.
Mix the dressing ingredients together, adding seasoning to taste.
In a large bowl, mix the quinoa with all the remaining ingredients adding the dressing last of all.
TIP: This can either be served and I find is a sufficient meal in itself, or makes a great accompaniment with either mackerel or chicken for a more substantial meal for the boys!